Saturday, March 30, 2013

IT'S GOING TO BE QUIET AROUND HERE!

As a single woman who lived alone my entire adult life, when I had to sell my home that I worked so hard to get and move in with my parents because of my IC, that was one of the single most difficult things I've had to cope with since getting IC. In fact, that's when I started going to therapy to help me deal with all the changes and the impact IC was having on my life.

I was used to living alone with my cat, going to work and enjoying my place. I saw plenty of my family, as we live close by and we have a lot of family gatherings to celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, graduations and the holidays. So I got lots of family time even when I lived alone. I had a job I loved and close friends and got out in the world to some extent. Never successfully found "Mr. Right" but I was OK with that and enjoyed going home to my own home every day after work. 

One of the biggest challenges for me when I moved home was adjusting to living with my parents. Now, don't get me wrong. I love my parents and I am blessed to have them and that they are healthy and happy to take me in. It may have been the most difficult thing I've had to do, but it was the right thing to do and I am grateful every single day to have a wonderful home and parents who are so caring and take such good care of me.

But whenever people move in together, no matter the circumstances - couples when they get married, roommates in college or when just starting out. No matter how much you love someone, it can be a challenge to adjust to each other's habits and even just having other people around all the time. 

So it took me some work and time to adjust to living with my parents, but before I knew it we settled into our routine and I became very accustomed to having them around and having people to talk to if I wanted. It's really a pretty good deal.

So, here I am about 6 years later, and I've gone from enjoying the peace and quiet of living alone to being very used to having others around all the time. This afternoon my Mom and Dad are flying off for a nice vacation in Southern California to visit one of my brothers and his family for about 10 days. It's going to be quiet around here for sure. Life is funny really. It took me time to adjust to my new living situation and now that I am, I will notice the quiet and it will seem strange to me. 

My parents deserve a nice trip like this. Mom works hard taking care of me and constantly driving me to my doctor appointments, keeping the home and helping all her kids in so many ways. I'm glad they get to have this little vacation. I wish I could go too, but not this time. Maybe in the future I'll be up to traveling, but not now.

I'll be busy enough with two doctor appointments this week, but it won't be the same around here while they're gone. Maybe my cat will actually come sit with me instead of her usual routine of sitting with my Mom every evening! That would be nice! I'm having Easter dinner tomorrow with one of my other brothers and his wife and I'm looking forward to that. I know they will check on me often and our neighbors have also said they will keep an eye on me! It's not like I'm being abandoned.  

 But any way you look at it, it's going to be quiet around here! Bon Voyage Mom & Dad! Have a great time!



No comments:

Post a Comment