Wednesday, December 26, 2012

WHAT YOU DO CAN CHANGE HOW YOU FEEL!

If you've been following my Blog, you know that I have been struggling more lately than usual due to chronic UTI's and all my IC challenges. I have had a harder time with feeling down in the dumps and am working more closely with my therapist on this issue. But nonetheless, things have been more difficult for me lately. As Christmas approached, I was not in the mood and as I wrote the other day, was not ready and had no gifts for anyone.

But I am here to say, that what we do CAN change how we feel, at least to some degree. As I posted the other day, my wonderful Mom helped me get gifts for my family and that went a long way toward cheering me up. In addition, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were wonderful days spent with family, good food and lots and lots of laughter! Truly, laughter is the best medicine! I nearly forgot what had been upsetting me so much over the past few days. My mood was certainly greatly improved as a direct result of being in the company of my family and sharing good times with them. I could easily have stayed upstairs in bed; I certainly felt that lousy. But I didn't do that. I got myself showered and dressed and participated in our family events to the best of my ability and had a great time.

Today, some friends of mine that I get together with for Christmas every year - it's our tradition and we always meet at the same friend's home, she cooks a beautiful meal and we exchange gifts and have a great time. The bad news is that these friends live quite a distance from me, and it has always been a challenge to get there, but I've always managed to pull it off. Unfortunately, this year I had to tell them there was no way I could get there for our celebration! Well, talk about great friends; they told me no problem, they would drive up to my house and we would have lunch and then spend some time around our tree before they had to head home. I took them to this little, not fancy but excellent little French cafe near my house and we had a great meal together. We came back to my house and exchanged gifts and it was truly one of the best days I've had all year. I am totally wiped out from it, but it was SO worth it as being with my closest and dearest friends made me so happy. We laughed so much and had such a great time. Again, I could have easily turned them down when they said they would come up to me, but I truly believe spending time with friends and those we love CAN make a difference in how we feel, that I gladly accepted and boy am I glad I did.

These past few days have given me so much joy and happiness and I truly believe it has made a huge difference in how I feel about all I am dealing with. I have been happy for these past few days and I can't say that was true before. So, spending time with friends, family and loved ones has made a big difference in my life and I am grateful for each an every one of them who love and care about me! It's not a long list, but it's big in feeling.

To my family and friends - I am forever grateful for all you do to support, encourage and help me! For all the donations to my Fundraising Campaign, there just are no words except to just say thank you so much!

So, my wish for everyone as we enter the New Year, is that you too will find a way to spend some time with your friends, family and loved ones and that it gives you the feelings of joy, love and happiness that I experienced!

No comments:

Post a Comment