Thursday, December 13, 2012

THE LENS OF GRATITUDE!

As I reflect back on this year, I look at it through two completely different lenses. On one hand, it has been one of my most difficult and challenging years since being diagnosed with IC. Not only have I been battling chronic UTI’s – not just this year, but for 3 years now – all year long, but one of my old InterStim died and I had to have surgery last month to replace it. I have really been struggling emotionally with the constant battles with my health.  I have found that I am more emotional this year and really having to push myself mentally to fight to stay positive. My retention is worse, my pain is worse and I can’t do my instillations at home anymore. I have spent so much time in doctor’s offices this year; it seems I’m there more than I am at home. So, this lens is where I view my struggles.

But on the other hand, I have so much for which to be grateful. First and foremost, I am grateful for my “sainted mother”! She is a never ending source of support in so many ways. She drives me to all my doctor appointments, cooks my meals most of the time, and is the best nurse a daughter could have! I am grateful for my entire family, who also support me in whatever way they can and just knowing they are there for me, means more than words can say. My family encouraged me to start this Blog and I am grateful for that and I hope that it is a source of encouragement, inspiration and information for other IC patients.  I have a small group of amazing friends that are supportive and understanding that have stuck by me since being diagnosed and go out of their way to keep in touch and let me know they are there for me. I have a great medical team that never gives up and keeps doing all they can to help me. My psychologist has been invaluable to me this year and I am grateful to have her among my team.

I am grateful for my IC family; my local IC Support Group Leader who is a never ending source of encouragement and inspiration! I am grateful for my IC Facebook and Blog friends who are always encouraging, supportive, willing to share information and help everyone with IC even through their own struggles. The support for each other is a constant source of inspiration to me and gives me the strength to forge ahead. So this is the lens where I view the good things in my life.

I think many of us would say we have similar experiences.  We always have our struggles and challenges, but hopefully we also have a support system of family, friends, and IC friends that hold us up when we need it most.

As this year comes to a close I am taking time to reflect and try to focus on the lens of gratitude. I could not have gotten through this year without all the support I have received. My love and thanks are what I want to share with everyone who helped and supported me. My heart is full and when I think about that, it always makes me feel so much better about everything.

May you all be looking at this past year through the lens of gratitude as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment