Wednesday, July 31, 2013

SOME BATTLES NEVER END!

Today, a former co-worker and Facebook friend of mine posted this on her FB page:

"Weight: To all of you in my FB family that have struggled with weight, know that you are not alone. Everyone has struggles in life, and weight is one of mine. From the tender age of 13, I yo-yo'ed up and down. I know many of you have advice and programs and lifestyles that help people like me. Thank you for that, but this is not a post about that. This is a hug to those that have struggled with weight and its shame. Know that weight does not define you. You are so much more than that. If you are ready to make a change, go for it. If you are not, that is okay too. Be kind to yourself."

WOW! Did that resonate with me. On top of my IC struggles in the last 12 years, I have battled with my weight as well. Actually, I too, have battled my weight since I was about 13! I have lost and gained over and over. Ever since going on Disability, it has been even more difficult. I am less active due to my IC and the pain and as soon as I stopped working I gained 15 lbs. fairly quickly. I have always had an extremely slow metabolism and the level of workout I need to put forth to impact weight loss is just not possible anymore. I worked so hard last year for nearly 8 months get a lousy 15 lbs. off but eventually I did it and I was back to my "goal" weight. 

Yet, here I am again this year, fighting the same battle over again. I have managed to gain back about 12 lbs. again and it has me SO frustrated! 

I posted this reply back to my friend and wanted to share it here too:

"Thank you for such a wonderful post on this. I have battled my weight since I was 13 and I'm 58 now. One would think I'd have it figured out. I KNOW what to do, but doing it is another whole story. And add to that being on disability and unable to exercise as I used to, if at all, makes it that much more challenging. I keep losing and regaining the same 10-15 lbs since I went on disability and it just adds to the frustration of my health situation. I know I should cut myself some slack but the fear of gaining back the entire 50 lbs I lost while still working haunts me and yet this has been a particularly challenging time and issue for me. Thanks for the encouragement."

So I start over today yet again. Trying to stick to my plan and do what I know I should. We each have our own unique challenges in life, then add IC and associated conditions and it can make things doubly difficult. But I won't just give in; I will keep trying.

Yup - IC, exercise, weight, whatever: Some Battles Never End!





No comments:

Post a Comment