Friday, February 22, 2013

GOTTA KEEP MOVING!

One of the things that has bothered me the most since being diagnosed with IC, and even more since going on Disability, is the fact that I can't exercise anymore. I used to run or walk, hike and ski. Giving up these activities has been something that was very hard to do, but has been necessary. Skiing had to be given up when I got my InterStim because I couldn't risk falling down and dislocating one of the wires which would land me back in the O.R. to reposition it. Giving up skiing was the hardest of all as my whole family skis and I loved it more than any activity. I was never good at sports and when I tried skiing, it came naturally to me and I picked it up quickly. I just LOVED to ski!

Even when I got IC, for a time I was able to continue to walk as long as there was a restroom along the way where I could stop and pee. But over time, as my IC worsened and Disability became my new reality, I couldn't even manage that.

So, it has been very frustrating. I watch my amazing 82 year old mother doing her Yoga, Pilates and weights every day and feel like a slug. I think, if she can do it, why can't I? She needs knee replacement and yet there she is doing her exercises every single day. I know healthy people half her age who can't do what she does. In the good weather, she hops on her bicycle and rides almost every day. She is my inspiration.

I'm now starting to have knee problems which are really acting up even more than ever. Probably arthritis, but just one more thing to deal with.

Well, I'm sick of feeling like a slug. I don't expect to be able to do what I used to. But I can adapt and at least keep myself loose, limber and moving. So today, I asked my Mom to show me some exercises I can do with my arms while sitting in a chair using her 2 pound weights. Nothing should hurt and nothing that requires pelvic floor muscles, but using the weights with my arms to regain some flexibility, strength and just keep my body and everything from falling apart. So, I'm going to work on doing this more regularly. It's a step. I can't do much right now, but I don't care. I'm going to do what I can do and see how it goes. The point is just to keep my body moving.

I'm also going to try to use the treadmill (while it's still winter) and do some walking. I plan to start slow and easy and if I have to get off after 10 minutes to go pee, I will. I'm not looking to do an hour on the treadmill like I used to. But, research has shown that even 10 minutes of exercise a day can increase your life expectancy. So, again, I want to keep moving. I will do what I can do. I have to wait for my left knee to stop hurting, but this is my plan. 

It has always bothered me that I am so inactive since IC. Well, I can do something about that. I just had to problem solve and find ways that I can get moving but within my new limitations. I don't have to just give up and do nothing. It's not about running another marathon or 10K (like I did before IC).  I know I'll never ski again and I will always miss that. But I can do some things that are good for my body and that will keep me limber, flexible and healthier.

Now, it's just about the fact that I "Gotta Keep Moving!" 
Me in Better Days on the Slopes!

No comments:

Post a Comment