Monday, February 4, 2013

DOING THINGS WE THINK WE CAN'T!

As we all know, yesterday was Super Bowl Sunday, which of course is generally reason for having a Super Bowl Party! My family is no exception. Though very small, we usually get together to watch the game and enjoy some munchies, relax and watch the game. Even since getting IC, we've shared these get-togethers, but they have mostly been at my parent's house where I live.

This year, my younger brother and his wife, who live within walking distance of our house, wanted us to come over and enjoy the game at their house. Immediately, I told my Mom "No"; that I wasn't going to go. Based on how I've been feeling, I didn't think I could be comfortable and relax and enjoy the evening. I was flat out not going to go and managed to get myself all worked up about it and how frustrating it is that I can't just do whatever I want without it being a big deal. I hate putting people out, having them have to go to extra lengths to insure my comfort and just dealing with everything that goes along with "going out" of our comfort zone. I'm sure a lot of you can understand that.

Well, my wonderful family didn't let my refusal and distress deter them. My wonderful Mother talked to me about my issues and allowed me to express why I didn't want to go, but offered suggestions about how we could make it work. My fabulous brother and sister-in-law went out of their way to tell me I would be comfortable and not to worry about "putting them out" in any way.

I felt so supported and appreciated it more than words can say. So, I decided that I would do what I thought I couldn't. I chose to give it a try. Everyone understood that if I felt I had to leave and go home at any point in the evening, that would be just fine. It was one of the best things I've chosen to do!

My brother and sister-in-law put me in the most comfortable recliner chair, got me blankets to keep me warm and made sure I didn't have to get up and down to fill my plate with all the tasty munchies set out for us to enjoy. I made it through the entire game and had a wonderful time with my family.

Did I have to get up a bunch of times to go to the bathroom? Yes. Did I let it bother me? No.  I just did what I had to do and didn't let it take anything away from the nice time I was having.

I have my wonderful and supportive family to thank for "nudging" me along in just the right way and I am so glad that I did what I thought I couldn't. I need to do that more often and hopefully this will remind me that I can do things that I sometimes think I can't. I think we all can. If you approach it with the right attitude, some planning and love and support, we may just find that we CAN do things we think we can't!




To my wonderful family that encourage me every single day!

No comments:

Post a Comment