Wednesday, February 6, 2013

ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!

This is something I am working on every single day. I talk about it with my psychologist and how learning coping techniques can and do impact my attitude and, therefore, my emotional state and how I manage living with my IC.

I just had an appointment with my psychologist yesterday and this was the main topic of our discussion.  How I've struggled a lot with coping and not having the attitude I would like. I am going to continue to work on this. I truly believe that the way I THINK and FEEL about my IC have a direct impact on how I feel. When I am down, I need to do the things that help me feel better and make me happy. Things like meditation, listening to music I like help change my mood completely. So I need to do more of this when the stress is rearing its ugly head. Putting my head phones on and listening to my favorite music has literally helped me go from near tears to being in a much better mood. We all have to find the things that work for us, but try whatever you think will work for you. Talk to a therapist, take a meditation class, yoga. These things can change how you cope and that's never a bad thing.

I can't do anything about having IC, but I can choose how I deal with it. It's not easy, but it's worth the effort. 

I love this quote and have always been inspired by Scott Hamilton who has fought brain cancer, testicular cancer and has the most positive attitude I've ever seen. He is truly an inspiration.




2 comments:

  1. Catherine, I love this post. It is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you for your very encouraging words. I especially liked the phase: "I can't do anything about having IC, but I can choose how I deal with it." Our attitudes are so important in battling this chronic illness. I'm praying for you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara; Thank you for such positive feedback; I'm glad this resonated with you. I try to write what I'm working on that I think may be helpful; I'm so glad you got something out of it!

      Delete