Monday, January 21, 2013

MUSIC MAKES ME HAPPY!

I know I have written before about various techniques we can try to use to help us cope with our IC struggles. But last evening I took my own advice and put my headphones on, opened up my iTunes and closed my eyes and simply listened to music for nearly two hours!

I have always loved music; it's in my family and we all enjoy all types of music. It has always made me happy and joyful and while listening to music last night, I discovered it calmed me, relaxed me, put me in a much better mental state and I actually did forget about my pain to a good degree.

My therapist is always telling me that your brain cannot be sad and happy at the same time; i.e. you cannot cry if you are laughing. This is so true! While listening to music, I was transported in a way that just made me smile, happy and it put me in a much better frame of mind than I was previously. I need to do this more often!

I can honestly say that this was a real "ah ha" moment. I found myself "chair dancing" to the music, snapping my fingers and all those fun things we find our bodies doing in response to music we love! It was such fun!

Music has the ability to do so much no matter what. It can inspire us, it can make us happy, it can move us to tears, it can make us feel and just so much more! If you find you are feeling down in the dumps and struggling and just sitting there miserable, I strongly suggest you listen to your favorite music whatever that may be. Some love classical, some love rock or pop or jazz. Whatever your favorite music is, listen to it. Close your eyes and let it wash over you. It can have an amazing impact on each of us and can truly be healing in so many ways!

I hope you find some music that makes you happy and transports you to a better place. So here's to music - it makes me happy! And that is never a bad thing! 

One of my all time favorite songs that makes me so happy just to listen to it; enjoy!

"Fly Me to the Moon" - Frank Sinatra






No comments:

Post a Comment