Monday, December 16, 2013

BRINGING ME SOME HOLIDAY CHEER!

I have the most wonderful family in the world! That's just all there is to it. During these past 5 weeks while I have battled this new medical challenge, they have come together to offer help, look after my Dad, run errands, bring us meals and so much more! It just makes my heart so full and I do not take it for granted.

This being the Christmas season, and me still quite sick, my ability to get in the spirit of things, participate or even do anything is, well, non-existent. But that hasn't stopped my family. They are bringing the Holiday Cheer to me.

As I posted previously, last week when I got home from 8 days in the hospital, they had purchased a tree, set up and put the lights on. But it's been waiting to be decorated. Last night was to be the night. My brother, sister-in-law and niece were coming over for dinner and after that they would decorate the tree.

Well, I was having a very rough time of it right at dinner, so I never did get any dinner and my pain was through the roof and I was in tears. But my Mom and brother came upstairs, gently, lovingly, encouraged me to come downstairs. They had a place all set up for me in a comfy chair, with a foot rest, a nice warm throw and even put the Santa Hat on me to keep me warm, yet festive! Slowly, very slowly, they got me downstairs, helped me get as comfortable as possible in the chair and turned on Christmas music and they all started decorating our tree! 

Just to be able to be there, be part of it, be included lifted my spirits. This is what we, in our family, like to call "A.I.O." (Adapt, Improvise & Overcome!) and that's exactly what we did. I know so often we all talk about how things like this "ruin" our ability to enjoy special events and so forth. I truly didn't think I could be part of this and yet, my family put their heads together, took into account what I needed but that just being there to watch them all decorate the tree would be good for my spirits. They were right! They were all laughing, we played our favorite carols, they brought the box of ornaments over to me and asked me which ones I wanted included. It was SO special. We have definitely gone minimal this year because of how sick I am, but that's not the point. We aren't letting it get in the way; we're just finding work arounds. And I'm not even having to think of how to do them; my family is being pro-active in finding ways to make sure I enjoy Christmas as much as possible. 

I love my Family! Thank you for your love, support & encouragement!



Me Watching the Tree Decorating!


No comments:

Post a Comment