Sunday, August 4, 2013

THE THERAPY POOL!

My wonderful sister-in-law belongs to a health club affiliated with one of our major hospital systems. She took me recently for a free visit and wanted me to try their therapy pool. I loved it! So she got me a week FREE to use the facilities. So today I went for my first day. 

I spent an hour in the therapy pool and it was wonderful! Therapy pools are generally salt water, which makes you more buoyant. It is NOT too hot like a hot tub, but a warm relaxing temperature. It feels so good on my body just stepping into the water. My sister-in-law taught me an exercise I can do using one of those floating "noodles". I put it between my legs and use my legs in a cycling motion and my arms as if doing the breast stroke. I was so surprised that even having the noodle between my legs didn't bother me. It's very easy to not have it jammed up against any tender points and it helps you stay afloat. I spent and hour doing laps like this and not only did it NOT hurt, it made me feel better. My pain was less and yet I got out of the pool after an hour and felt like I actually exercised! I felt like I did something good for my body; keeping moving and using my arms and legs without it causing pain, is such a good thing. I felt so good afterward it made me happy.

I don't think I'll be able to afford to join the health club; it's very expensive. I may try to investigate, as they are affiliated with the hospital system where all my doctors are, if there are any special memberships for patients on disability or the like. We'll see. I'll talk to my doctor and see if he is willing to write a prescription for water therapy. It's all worth looking into. 

Regardless of what happens, I am going to enjoy my 7 Free days at the Club and the wonderful Therapy Pool!

I feel so great after using the pool, it's really amazing. I am grateful for the gift I was given to be able to do this for even a few days. I'll enjoy it while I can.



Actual Photo of the Pool Room -
Therapy Pool at Far End of Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment