Saturday, April 30, 2016

DEAR TREVOR: A LETTER TO MY ORGAN DONOR!



To honor the final day of #NationalDonateLifeMonth, I wanted to put in writing my gratitude to the donor who saved my life. It makes me sad that someone had to die so that I might live. But, if I could write or talk to him, this is what I would want to say.

Dear Trevor;

You don't know me and I didn't ever get the pleasure of meeting you. But we are forever connected because you were the kind of generous individual that wanted to be an organ donor. Sadly, for your family, you became the organ donor you wanted to be, should something ever happen.

I was blessed to receive one of your lungs on Nov. 3, 2014. I had a single right lung transplant that saved my life thanks to you.  I have exchanged letters with your family and let them know how grateful I am for their support of your decision to be an organ donor. 

They wrote back and that's how I know your name, Trevor. I carry it with me every single day. Every day that I wake up, take a deep breath, I think of you. Every time I go workout, even though it is very challenging, I think of you. Every time I get hugged by a member of my wonderful family, I think of you.  If it weren't for you, none of those things would be possible. My family and I are now, and forever will be, grateful beyond words.

I was so sick, my lungs giving out on me so rapidly that if I didn't get my transplant when I did, my outcome would not have been happy. For that I am forever grateful to you.


I was and am so grateful for the Gift of Life the lung I received has given me. I have recovered very well. I was discharged from the hospital only 8 days post transplant, which is amazing! My Transplant Team tells me that I am, and I quote: “doing GREAT!” I have not needed any oxygen at all since my transplant, so being able to be free of the oxygen machine and the Bipap is a wonderful feeling. When I watched the oxygen machine being taken from the house I cried. Again, tears of joy at not having to be tied to an oxygen machine anymore! I can sleep laying down again. These are not huge things, but they are what I dreamed of when I was sick. My dreams are simple. To be able to regain my strength and go for a walk outside again and enjoy nature. I have done this. Just going up and down the stairs and making my own meals and not having to have my mother wait on me hand and foot is wonderful. To take a real shower, without assistance. Small things that are often taken for granted but that I am beyond grateful to be able to do again.

I promised the Transplant Team that if I got a lung, I would do everything they asked of me and do everything in my power to take care of this most precious gift that you gave to me, and I am an extremely compliant patient. I believe they would tell you that I am. I think since you made the ultimate sacrifice so that I might live, it is my responsibility to do everything I am supposed to in order to care for this precious gift you gave to me.

I wish you could actually read this and know how grateful my family and I are for the Gift of Life you and your family gave to me. Your generosity and willingness to help others in such a profound way will never be forgotten and we will honor your gift on each anniversary of my surgery. We will take time to think of you and your family and the gift you gave to me and what it has meant for my family. 

With deepest gratitude,


Catherine



"Kind & Generous" - Natalie Merchant


No comments:

Post a Comment