Wednesday, March 11, 2015

OH HAPPY DAY!

Today is a very special day for me. It's a major milestone. I know, every time I write, I say it's a milestone. Well, you go through a Lung Transplant and I defy you not to find many milestones along that journey!

For me, today is one. I didn't expect it to feel this way. I was looking forward to it. I was very happy when the doctor said it could happen. But when it finally came about, the joy I felt, the happiness and sheer pleasure brought tears to my eyes.

Today, I got to have Walgreens come to the house and take back ALL the oxygen tanks in the house! I haven't needed supplemental oxygen since my transplant and so my doctor gave permission to take it away. That news made me happy. Like I said, I was looking forward to it.

But when I stood at the door, after signing the papers, watching the service man carry the tanks to the truck, tears were streaming down my face. This was a day a year ago I never thought I'd see. Wasn't sure I'd see any days, let alone without oxygen. And yet, here it was. The day had come and I am breathing on room air, even when I exercise. Going up and down stairs without oxygen. It's a gift and a blessing.

It took me by surprise - this feeling that overcame me as I watched all that oxygen leaving my house, hopefully forever. I haven't needed it and so I haven't had to listen to the awful humming of the machines since my transplant. But it's a sound I will never forget. I will never forget that year of being sick and the time spent on the UNOS Waiting List for my lung.

But to be blessed enough to actually get my lung and to be doing so well is a real miracle in my book! I owe everything to all the doctors that fought so hard for me and the team at Loyola for saving my life. My Coordinator for her never ending patience and help in managing my post transplant care. My family for the countless things they have done to help and support me. They will be pleased to find out the oxygen is gone.

So, it is with much happiness that I say:  Bye, Bye Oxygen! You won't be missed!




"HAPPY" - Pharrell Williams



No comments:

Post a Comment